The GIS Outreach and Community Engagement Lab uses our Augmented Reality Sandbox to teach about physical geography, map reading, and watersheds. The original grant for the prototype was from the Tennessee Teaching and Learning Center here at UTK. We quickly saw the potential of the sandbox for teaching purposes and applied for a Community Engagement grant to upgrade our sandbox. We are very pleased that the AR Sandbox is such a big hit wherever we take it.
- To build your own AR Sandbox follow the instructions by UC Davis at https://arsandbox.ucdavis.edu/.
- You are also welcome to learn from our mistakes at our “How not to build an AR Sandbox” page.
- Here is a link to the parts we bought to build our AR Sandbox. Please note that prices may have changed since we originally compiled this list.
- Check out the AR Sandbox Gallery if you are looking for ideas on how to actually build the sandbox.
- And if you are looking for classroom ideas check out our Teaching with the sandbox page.
To learn more read our blog posts about the AR Sandbox.